Michaelangelo Matera is a founding partner in the Firm. His practice areas are criminal defense, personal injury, commercial litigation and general litigation and has handled Federal and State cases all over the State of New York and in several other states across the Country.
Michaelangelo is a native of Long Island where he currently resides today. He spent four years at Binghamton University in upstate New York prior to attending law school where he received several awards including the American Jurisprudence award in Trial Practice.
Even prior to his admission to the New York Bar, Michaelangelo was hired to work for the Bronx County District Attorney’s Office where he spent several years. During his time there, he successfully prosecuted hundreds of criminal cases ranging from low level misdemeanors to homicides. He took trial verdicts on dozens of cases, the vast majority of which resulted in convictions.
After his time as a prosecutor, Michaelangelo spent several years working for a very prestigious firm that focused on civil defense litigation. After his time there, he went into private practice where he has successfully represented clients in matters ranging from criminal defense to personal injury cases to commercial litigation from New York to as far as Florida and Arizona, having tried countless cases to verdict.
Michaelangelo is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, an exclusive group consisting of attorneys who have secured individual verdicts for their clients in excess of one million dollars. He is also a member of the New York State Defender’s Association, The National College for DUI Defense, New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Suffolk County Bar Association, Nassau County Bar Association, Nassau County Criminal Bar Association, Catholic Lawyers Group and the Columbian Lawyers Association.
Michaelangelo has also been selected as one of the top 100 trial lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers Association and The National Association of Distinguished Counsel’s top one percent and America’s Top 100 Trial Attorneys.
He is also admitted to practice law in the federal courts of the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York.
About Attorney Michaelangelo Matera
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Personal Injury
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Slip & Fall Injuries
- Bicycle Accidents
- Dog Bites / Animal Attacks
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Wrongful Death
- Criminal Defense
- DWI / DWAI
- Drug Crimes
- Domestic Violence
- White-Collar Crimes
- Robbery / Burglary
- Assault Charges
- Homicide / Murder
- Theft / Shoplifting
- Police Brutality
- Wrongful Arrest
- Wrongful Prosecution
- Civil Rights
- New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center, Huntington, New York
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Award in Trial Practice
- Binghamton University
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers Award by The National Trial Lawyers, 2013
- The National Association of Distinguished Counsel’s Top One Percent.
- America’s Top 100 Trial Attorneys
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Member
- Nassau County Bar Association, Member, 2005 to Present
- Suffolk County Bar Association, Member, 2008 to Present
- Catholic Lawyers Guild, Member, 2009 to Present
- Criminal Courts Bar Association of Nassau County, Member, 2009 to Present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member, 2005 to Present
- American Bar Association, Member, 2012 to Present
- New York State Defender’s Association, Member, 2008 to Present
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2005 to Present
- Columbian Lawyers Association, Member
- The National College for DUI Defense, Member, 2015 to Present
- The National Association of Distinguished Counsel’s Top One Percent, 2014 to Present
- America’s Top 100 Trial Attorneys, 2016 to Present
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Matera & Elbert LLP, Partner, 2013 to 2014
- Law Offices of Michaelangelo Matera, Partner, Partner, 2003 to 2013
- Montfort, Healey, McGuire & Salley, Associate, Associate, 2001 to 2003
- Bronx County District Attorney’s Office, Assistant District Attorney, 1997 to 2001
PRO BONO ACTIVITIES
- Member, Catholic Lawyers Group
- Member, Columbian Lawyers Association